Hailey's Cheering Section - Join Us!!!

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Acupuncture, Flaming Sticks and a Rant...

Some of you know that Mike and I have been doing acupuncture treatments for the past few years off and on, for different medical issues. This experience has changed the way I view the body, mind, spirit, and basically changed my life. Acupuncture sounds kinda scary to most of us because:

A. There are needles involved

B. Its really, really foreign

C. We don't understand it

D. Did I mention the needles?


Well, the needles are not bad - really, they are not. I am not a fan of shots, pricking fingers etc...so I was not jumping up and down about getting needles stuck in me under any circumstances...but I sucked it up and gave it a shot. (no pun intended) The needles are very fine, almost as fine as hair so that does not really hurt that bad. If it does hurt, its more of the energy in that area that is "stuck" and then the acupuncture is how you get that energy moving and flowing so all of your systems operate better. The first time I got acupuncture, my acupuncturist put tons of needles all over me, in my back, on my head, in my ears, in between my toes (yeah, those hurt) and in my legs. All of the spots felt different - some ached, some felt like an electric current running under my skin, some felt like water flowing out of a dam...its really cool and I suggest that everyone try it at least once in your life. It can help with all kinds of issues, but basically its preventative medicine and it helps to make your body stronger and work the way God intended it to - in harmony. Every time I have left my appointment with Shams, I have felt like a new person, in a goooooood, yummy, warm cup of soup on a cold day kind of way.



Why, you ask, am I telling you all of this and what does it have to to with the star of our corner of the interweb, Hailey??? Because she got acupuncture today and already feels better. Shams (our acupuncturist) also did some massage, and something with some kind of stick that she poked on her leg to stimulate the immune system. When I find out more about these mysterious sticks, I will let you know more about them - but apparently there is fire involved and James is in charge of doing this treatment at home on a daily basis - so this should be fun...ha.



Me, Hailey, Shams and James are not the only ones buying into the AMAZING benefits of acupuncture. Below is an excerpt from the National Cancer Institute web site about acupuncture.



Acupuncture, a complementary and alternative (CAM) therapy used in cancer management,[1-4] has been used clinically to manage cancer-related symptoms, treat side effects induced by chemotherapy or radiation therapy, boost blood cell count, and enhance lymphocyte and natural killer (NK) cell activity. In cancer treatment, its primary use is symptom management; commonly treated symptoms are cancer pain,[4,5] chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting, [6] and other symptoms that affect a patient’s quality of life, including weight loss, anxiety, depression, insomnia, poor appetite, and diarrhea. [7-9] Acupuncture is generally accepted by children aged 10 years and older.

For more info click here



If our narrow minded (sorry but its the way I feel) government can agree that acupuncture is beneficial for all of these symptoms...then WHY IN THE WORLD IS IT NOT COVERED UNDER INSURANCE??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I guess quality of life really does not matter, as long as we can fix whatever is wrong with you with a pill created by big pharma and if you die - then good - we dont have to cover you anymore. If you live, then who cares how you actually FEEL or if you TRULY get better - here, take another pill that does nothing but cover up pain and illness. UGH. Did you see the part about "enhance lymphocyte and natural killer (NK) cell activity" ??? Does that say that it activates KILLER CELLS? What? Our own body can do that??? Who knew - I thought the only way to fight cancer was with chemo. I not saying that the chemo is not part of the big picture, but its just that - a part - our hospitals need to include acupuncture, nutrition and other natural methods of fighting disease. This just does not make any sense to me. OK, Rant over...

I do feel very fortunate for Hailey to be at Athens Regional because they do have the Loren Smith cancer center. They provide yoga, nutrition classes, books, reiki and massage for all the cancer patients and their care givers, for free. This is very progressive and I am truly, truly grateful for this benefit.

Again, I will not leave you on a nasty, negative vibe so I give you Sham's website.

Click here for her beautiful corner of the interweb and learn something new about the vessel of your soul - your beautiful body, that yes, was made to heal itself.

Also, here is a picture from our trip to Alligator Point. Somebody complimented me and said that I have an eye for photography. That was awesome to hear since I have always wanted to be a good photographer. I will never have anything on James - but here it is. God did the art work, I just got to take a picture of it. :)


2 comments:

Heather Ivey said...

From a nursing standpoint...I was taught about holistic care. However you never see that in play to the extent that it should be. Whatever can help...should be done. Good for you Hailey! That shows the fighter you are. I pray that the acupunture plays a role in your cure! I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better. As always, I am here if you need anything. I love you!
Heather...thanks for all of the info! I love you!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Good eye for God's Artwork Heather.I believe that acupunture would be great for you to try Hailey. It would be good for you to do the meditation it takes to go there and reap the benefits. Just don't be getting it in a van behind Waffle House. Ha Asap before you go for the first session start doing breathing exercises and visualization, if it doesn't work, call me, I'll jam some needles in in you with pleasure !