Hailey's Cheering Section - Join Us!!!

Thursday, November 6, 2008

BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT DRINKING ENOUGH WATER!

Question: Why are more children going to the hospital with kidney stones????? For the obvious answer - see above...
Now, I must admit, I was not a big fan of drinking water until I was older - however, a frozen dinner or overly processed foods hardly ever touched my lips because my mama cooked for us and made us our lunch every day with good ingredients. AND she made me drink water even though I would pitch a fit. I have had my share of kidney infections, and OUCH, I do not recommend that to anyone. My acupuncturist says I have a lot of heat in my kidneys...I dont know what that means, but it does not feel good. So to cool the heat down, I make sure I drink 64+oz of water a day. Bonus side effect - I lost about 20 lbs and keep it off by drinking lots of good ol' H2O.

Why the rant?
Read this article from the NY Times. Too much salt & too little water will cause even a 5 year old to get a kidney stone. Hey Braden! Lulu loves water! ;) If you are wondering who Braden is, he is my adorable 4 year old buddy, son of my friend Stacy Moss of the 3Mossketeers.

To the great surprise of parents, kidney stones, once considered a disorder of middle age, are now showing up in children as young as 5 or 6.

So, here you go...more info on this news. Shocking? Kind of, but not really, which is sad.

Below is an excerpt from the article for the whole thing, click here.

“What we’ve really seen is an increase in the salt load in children’s diet,” said Dr. Bruce L. Slaughenhoupt, co-director of pediatric urology and of the pediatric kidney stone clinic at the University of Wisconsin. He and other experts mentioned not just salty chips and French fries, but also processed foods like sandwich meats; canned soups; packaged meals; and even sports drinks like Gatorade, which are so popular among schoolchildren they are now sold in child-friendly juice boxes. Children also tend not to drink enough water. “They don’t want to go to the bathroom at school; they don’t have time, so they drink less,” said Dr. Alicia Neu, medical director of pediatric nephrology and the pediatric stone clinic at Johns Hopkins Children’s Center in Baltimore. Instead, they are likely to drink only once they’re thirsty — but that may be too little, too late, especially for children who play sports or are just active. “Drinking more water is the most important step in the prevention of kidney stones,” Dr. Neu said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that was funny! It took me a second to get the joke! I'll make sure to pass it on.

My child will not drink straight water to save his life unless its in a cool water bottle. It is very rare though that he ever gets straight apple juice. I dilute it 75% with water (shhhh - don't tell Braden)! Just a thought if your child doesn't like water either. Its a lesson that I will surely learn from with the next one!

I will say this though about Braden - he'll choose an apple or carrot stick over candy 95% of the time!

Thanks for keeping us all healthy H! :)

Heather said...

You are welcome - we really need to keep our babies healthy - they are the ones that are going to have to wheel our butts around the nursing home! ha!